The Anita C. Leight Estuary Center has been recertified a Green Center!
As a Green Center, we hope to provide ongoing professional development and support to aid Harford County Schools in becoming green schools. Please call or email if you have any questions regarding our Green Center programs.
We saved almost $1000 on our electric bill by going green!
What is a Green Center?
A Maryland Green Center demonstrates all or some of the listed actions under the 3 required categories below. No ranking or priority order is intended in this list:
1. Supports local schools in their efforts to become Maryland Green Schools:
- Provides information about the Green School (GS) program ("champions" the GS model)
- Works closely with a school to guide its GS application process
- Contributes to a specific school's GS award application
- Provides programmatic support for GS activities (see GS application for schools)
- Provides direct instruction that is related to a GS project at a school/community
- Hosts GS activities at the Center
- Partners with the school for solutions to environmental issues in the community
- Provides focused In-service or professional development for teachers
- Provides financial support and/or assists with grant writing
- Provides materials, trees, plants, etc.
- Provides technical support for planning and implementation
- Provides "hand holding" for those schools w/teachers who are new to all of this
- Provides contacts and connections to the appropriate resources
2. Models environmental Best Management Practices (BMPs) in the building and on the grounds:
- Models the 6 BMPs listed on the Green Center application
- Includes maintenance staff in planning and implementing the BMPs
3. Supports community environmental learning:
- Is active in the community
- Provides program to serve the community
- Partners with schools for action in the community
- Partners with the community to work on environmental issues at the school
For more information, check out the MAEOE website.